English Premier League, Leagues, Stoke City, Story, Troy Deeney, Watford

Darren Fletcher’s lone goal of the match sealed a Stoke City away victory in a testy clash with Watford.
Marco Silva laments Watford’s play in the first half of their 1-0 home defeat against Stoke City.

Watford striker Troy Deeney will serve a three-match ban after admitting a charge of violent conduct against Stoke City, while both clubs have been charged with failing to control their players by the Football Association.

Stoke’s 1-0 win at Vicarage Road on Saturday came to a bad-tempered conclusion with two separate incidents involving players from both sides squaring up to each other.

First, Watford’s Abdoulaye Doucoure and Stoke’s Mame Biram Diouf were booked after they scuffled on the touchline three minutes from full-time. Then, in stoppage time, Hornets skipper Deeney sparked a second melee when he grabbed the face of Stoke midfielder Joe Allen.

Deeney and Allen received yellow cards but the Watford captain was subsequently hit with a separate charge of violent conduct, which he has accepted and which will see him banned for the Premier League matches against Everton, West Ham and Newcastle.

Troy Deeney clashed with Stoke’s Joe Allen on Saturday and will now serve a three-match ban.

An FA statement said: “Troy Deeney will serve a three-match suspension with immediate effect after he admitted an FA charge of violent conduct and accepted the standard penalty.

“The Watford forward was involved in an incident with Stoke City’s Joe Allen during the 94th minute of their fixture on Saturday [28 October 2017].

“The misconduct was not seen by the match officials at the time but caught on video.”

The flashpoint involving Deeney and Allen came after Stoke had put the ball out of play with a player down injured, but rather than pass the ball back Deeney attempted a cross into the visitors’ penalty area.

Allen reacted angrily and clashed with Deeney, who appeared to dig his thumbs into the face of the Wales international as other players tried to prise them apart.

The FA statement continued: “Watford and Stoke City have been charged for failing to control their players during the fixture and have until 18:00 on Friday [3 November 2017] to respond.”

Source link

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Klopp: Salah ‘on the way’ to reaching Messi’s level
Inter Milan open youth football academy in Hungary
Jose Mourinho: I understand Manchester United fans’ frustrations not criticism
Borussia Dortmund’s offer for Lautaro Martinez arrived late – Racing chief
Motherwell vs. Celtic – Football Match Report – March 18, 2018

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *